Moving company settles with an unusual request: ‘Do your best’ to avoid online complaints

Her table arrived with a broken leg. Her dresser had a piece of moulding broken off. And her treadmill arrived cracked.

Barbara Joos, dissatisfied with the service she got from All My Sons Moving & Storage in getting her belongings from Willow Springs to Holly Springs, sent the company a letter detailing the damages and asking for $1,200 in compensation.

The company replied with an offer for $365 and an unusual request. The offer included a paragraph saying Joos should “do your best” to not post any “disparaging remarks” about her move online or in a public forum.

Barbara Joos settlement from All My Sons Moving

Joos contacted 5 On Your Side, and when she shared that email exchange with All My Sons, she got a response from the top!

“I hadn’t heard from anyone until they found out that 5 On My Side (sic) was involved, and all of a sudden I got a phone call from the corporate office in Texas with an offer to settle for over $1200,” she said. “Until they knew your team was getting involved, no one had reached out to me, so I just wanted to say thank you.”

Chris Generale, All My Sons company president, said the rejected claim went through the company’s review process and that’s why the value of Joos’ offer quadrupled.

And he reiterated that All My Sons asks customers to “do your best” not to publish any disparaging remarks.

While Joos did some research, she didn’t find red flags until she dug deeper after her move.

Before you hire a mover

  • Make sure you check online for complaints.
  • The North Carolina Attorney General’s Office recommends that you check out the company with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • For moves within the state of North Carolina, the state utilities commission publishes tips and a list of certified, legal movers.
  • Always get multiple estimates, and get the final agreement in writing. It should list everything from dates as well as what’s being moved.
  • Finally: do not pay up front. Pay upon delivery!

For complaints about between-state moves, contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Office of Motor Carrier Analysis, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington DC 20290, call 1-888-368-7238.

For complaints about moves within North Carolina, contact the NC Utilities Commission Public Staff, Transportation Rates Division, 4326 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-4300 or call (919) 733-7766.

Published at Mon, 01 Jul 2019 22:03:37 +0000